Joint problems and pain can occur for many reasons – poor posture, a sporting injury, a fall or even stress. McTimoney Chiropractic is a gentle method of improving skeletal alignment, allowing the nervous system to function more efficiently, helping to reduce pain or discomfort and increase mobility.
The gentle nature of the McTimoney method makes it suitable for people of all ages. It’s proven to be effective in treating the following conditions:
• Back, neck and shoulder pain
• Pain, discomfort and stiffness in joints
• Muscular aches
• Sports injuries
• Arthritic pain
For comfort and ease of movement during your treatment, gym wera, T-shirt, vest top, shorts, leggings or joggers are ideal. Gowns are available.
Normally your first session will last up to an hour and 20 minutes. During this time, the chiropractor will:
• Introduce you to chiropractic and the McTimoney technique
• Take a full case history, assessing your general health, previous conditions, and current symptoms
• Ask your permission to conduct a thorough physical examination. If appropriate, this will include neurological and orthopaedic tests
• Make any necessary adjustments using the light, dextrous techniques associated with the McTimoney method
The anticipated number of sessions will be discussed with you prior to treatment. Most people find between two and six sessions sufficient to address straightforward problems. The number and frequency of treatments will depend on a number of factors, including:
• Extent of injury
• Duration of injury
• General fitness
• Stress (muscle tension & stress on your nervous system)
Once your initial issue has resolved, you may wish to attend for maintenance sessions to keep yourself in good working order and help prevent further problems.
You may feel better straight away, or you might experience stiffness or tiredness, particularly after your first session. These effects should last no more than a couple of days and are signs that your body is responding well to treatment.
Common side effects include:
• Muscle stiffness or soreness
• Emotional sensitivity, including feeling tearful
• Dizziness & light-headedness
• Changes in your menstrual cycle
After each session, drink plenty of water and rest as much as possible. In the event that you feel dizzy or light-headed, avoid driving until you feel better. It is important that you talk to your chiropractor if you feel worried about anything either during or after treatment.
By practising simple but consistent aftercare you will help yourself to recover more quickly and maximise the benefits of your chiropractic treatment.
• Keep hydrated by drinking plenty of water and avoiding alcohol
• Take lukewarm showers for a couple of days
• Avoid strenuous exercise, housework, gym visits, gardening and long distance journeys for a couple of days
• Think about your posture and avoid sitting crossed legged
• Think about your balance and avoid carrying a heavy bag on one shoulder
• Follow any other specific advice your chiropractor has given you
At Aspire, we believe that good health is as much about enjoying a positive sense of physical, emotional and mental well-being as it is about being free of pain and disease. You’ll discover that small changes can make a big difference. When your body is well balanced it copes with the stresses of daily life more easily and is better equipped to deal with unexpected trauma.